Core FTP Lite
- Core FTP Lite is a Windows FTP client that supports uploading/downloading/deletion of directories (folders) and files, browser integration, SFTP (or secure FTP), SSL/TLS, handling of file permissions, transfer bandwidth control, etc.
FileZilla Open Source FTP / SFTP Client
- FileZilla is a free, open source FTP client for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X distributed under the GNU General Public License. You can do the usual stuff, upload and download files, as well as resume uploads or downloads, works with firewalls, supports SFTP (Secure FTP) and SSL secured connections, handle queues of files to be uploaded/downloaded, etc. At the time this was written, the Linux and Mac OS X versions are under Beta testing.
- OneButton FTP is a graphical FTP client for Mac OS X using the Cocoa framework. According to the website, it “will have a strong emphasis on drag and drop usability and file queuing”. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License.
- Curl is a command line tool that allows you to transfer files via FTP, SFTP, TFTP, FTPS, Telnet, DICT, FILE and LDAP, etc. You can also use the HTTP and HTTPS GET and PUT methods to download and upload files. It supports SSL, proxies, cookies, and user/password authentication. The tool is open source and supports Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, AIX, AmigaOS, BeOS, DOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly BSD, Midnight BSD, OpenBSD, MiNT, GNU-Darwin, HPUX, IRIX, Netware, Open Server, OS/2, QNX, RISC OS, Solaris, Syllable, Tru64 Unix, Unixware, VMS, etc. The program is released under an open source licence.
- Cyberduck is an open source FTP and SFTP browser for Mac OS X. It supports drag and drop, resuming of uploads and downloads, synchronisation of files on a local computer with a server, uploading and downloading of folders, etc. It is licensed under the GNU GPL.
Fugu – Mac OS X SFTP / SCP / SSH FrontEnd
- Fugu is a free open source frontend for SFTP (Secure FTP), SCP and SSH. It is released under a BSD license, and supports Mac OS X.
- Net Transport is a download manager for Windows that support multiple download streams using HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, MMS (Microsoft Media Services), RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) and PNM. You can perform batch downloading, categorise your download files, work through multiple proxies, schedule your downloads, limit the speed of downloads, etc. There are language files for numerous languages.
Downloader for X
- This is a Linux / Unix file downloader manager that is capable of using the FTP and HTTP protocols to download files (even if you are behind a proxy server) from the Internet. It can download using multiple connections simultaneously, giving you the possibility of a faster download. It allows persistent connections, has a built-in scheduler, pausing and resuming of downloads, etc. In spite of its name, it is able to work even without X – just use the command line. It is an open source software.
ProZilla Linux Download Accelerator
- Prozilla is a download accelerator for Linux that supports downloading of files via the FTP and HTTP protocols, allows multiple connections for the same file simultaneously (hence the supposed acceleration), resuming of broken downloads, FTP search, etc. This is an open source software.
- Putty: Win32 SSH / Secure FTP (SFTP) Client
is a free open source set of programs. It includes a Secure Shell client (SSH), an SCP client (secure copy), a command line Secure FTP client (SFTP), a Telnet client, etc.
- NcFTP is a free command line FTP client for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, and a large number of Unix and Unix-type systems. It comes with source code.
- Like other FTP clients, FTP Commander can upload or download files, create and cut directories, rename files, activate multiple downloads, and keep a session log. It is a Windows program.
- FTP Surfer is a Windows FTP client that uses an Internet Explorer user interface. It supports both FTP and HTTP downloads, FTP uploads, handles multiple server connections (ie, you can download many files simultaneously), handles reconnection for poor connections, supports remote file editing, supports ftp chmod, etc.
- i.FTP is a Windows FTP client that comes with source code. There is also an earlier version for BeOS.
- Star Downloader handles both FTP and HTTP downloads, can resume broken downloads, has an integrated unzipping facility, supports proxies, has the ability to split a file into several parts and download them all simultaneously (theoretically saving you time to download), integrates with browsers (to be the browser’s default download manager), handles different languages, includes a scheduler, integration with your antivirus software, includes a text viewer, etc. Note that, as its name suggests, Star Downloader is a download manager not a full-fledged FTP client, so if you’re looking for a tool to upload your site, this is probably not the correct tool.
- This is a freeware version of the commercial AceFTP client. It has the usual FTP features that allow you to upload and download files and manage your website.